There’s not many Disney fans that haven’t heard something about the fabulous new Latina princess which hit small screens this year. But how much do you really know about Elena? Let us take you through everything there is to know about the newest, most exciting Princess to ever grace the Disney canon!
Who is Elena of Avalor?
Elena of Avalor was released for our viewing pleasure in June of this year, and takes place in the same universe as Sofia the First. The series, which is set around a Latina princess and family, follows Elena who saved her magical kingdom of Avalor from an evil sorceress and must now learn to rule as the crowned princess, at only 16 years old.
Given her inexperience and young age, Elena follows the guidance of a Grand Council (composed of her grandparents, an older cousin and a new friend). In addition, Elena also seeks council from her younger sister Isabel, Wizard Mateo, a Royal Guard and several animal creatures who all come together to form the very colorful cast of supporting characters who make up the show.
With Elena being the first Latina Princess, it was incredibly important for all involved to create a thoroughly Latino show. Creator and Executive Producer of Elena of Avalor, Craig Gerber states that,
"It was very important to us that, since we were doing a show with a kingdom inspired by Latin American culture, that we get that right. Even though it's a fairytale world, there are things that feel very authentic."
Story editor, Silvia Olivias also points out that:
“cultural consultants help us every step of the way. They read everything from the premise all the way through the final draft."
In order to create a thoroughly Latin show, Latin music consultants and Latin clothing designers were even consulted. The series incorporates influences from Latin and Hispanic cultures throughout, and includes Latin music styles such as Salsa and Chilean hip-hop. Elena herself is even voiced by Dominican and Puerto Rican actress Aimee Carrero in order to bring an authenticity to the show’s main character.
Connection with Sofia the First
Not only does Elena of Avalor take place within Sofia the First’s world, but the two princesses are deeply bonded, in a strange twist of fate that transcends time.
When an evil sorceress, Shuriki, tries to bring harm to Elena’s kingdom, Elena bravely faces her, in order to protect her little sister and her grandparents. In an attempt to protect Elena, the amulet pulls her inside its enchanted jewel, saving her life but imprisoning her within it.
Elena is trapped inside the amulet for 40 years. Unbeknownst to Sofia, this is the amulet that she wears around her neck, given to her when she joined the royal family. When Sofia discovers the truth about Elena, she restores Elena to her human form and returns her to her kingdom.
Elena of Avalor is screened in 25 languages in 154 countries around the world. Make sure you take some time to watch it – it’s well worth the time!
Fast Facts about Elena
- Elena’s Grandparents were originally named ‘Tito’ and ‘Cici’, but these names were changed to match the casting more closely
- Elena’s full name is Elena Castillo Flores
- Princess Elena is Disney’s first Latina princess
- Elena can be seen at Disney Parks where she will be hosting a meet and greet
- Before Sofia the First premiered, she was rumoured to be the first Latina princess. When audiences backlashed at Sofia’s Caucasian character, producers decided to create a Latina princess
- Elena of Avalor is the first Disney 3D animated series
- The amulet of Avalor changes from purple to pink after Sofia releases Elena from it
- Amber already knew the truth about Sofia’s amulet, but wasn’t able to act on it, since her memory was erased afterwards
- The theme song for the show is sung by Grammy-nominated singer Gaby Moreno
- Elena’s ballgown was designed by Latina designer Layana Aguilar, from Project Runway
- Elena of Avalor features many guest stars including Ana Ortiz and Lou Diamond Phillips
- The program is built around a curriculum aimed at children from ages 2-7
- Elena merchandise is already available in stores and online, with more to come in 2017
- Elena is not set to have a love interest, as other Disney Princesses have traditionally had
- Every episode of the show features a song written by an Emmy-Award winning song writing team
Share this post