- The Everyman's Library edition of the Old Testament in the King James Version is introduced by George Steiner, who highlights its literary grandeur, uniqueness, and centrality.
- The Bible, or the "book of books," defines the concept of a text and holds a special position among all other books, shaping Western humanity's historical and social identity.
- The Bible's profound influence is evident in Western literature, informing the works of iconic figures such as Shakespeare, Bacon, Donne, and Milton.
- Steiner emphasizes the great fortune of being able to read the Bible in the resplendent language of seventeenth-century England, which includes the masterpieces of literature and poetry.
- The King James Version of the Bible holds a unique place in the English language, serving as a major literary work that contributed to the creation of iconic constructs like Shakespeare and the King James Version itself.
Item Number: 9780679451020
Dimensions: 8.1 x 5.3 x 2.0 inches
Weight: 2.35 lb
Penguin Random House is your one-stop source for the best books and gifts. You can filter by categories and sub-categories that interest you—from pop culture to craft & creativity, from health & wellness to journals, stationery & more. We have over 450 themes and categories to help you find your way. Or you can filter by age, grade, award winners, top sellers, on-sale date or coming soon, and even cover color. Featuring titles from all publishing divisions of Penguin Random House and across our distribution clients, Penguin Random House was designed and organized around the themes, occasions, holidays, and categories that are meaningful to you and your customers.