- Legendary Trailblazer: Discover the untold story of Sister Rosetta Tharpe, America's godmother of rock 'n' roll, whose electrifying singing and guitar playing paved the way for generations of musicians from the 1940s to the present day.
- Overlooked Contribution: Learn about Tharpe's remarkable influence on the birth of rock-and-roll, a genre that owes its existence to her groundbreaking talent and creativity, which had been overlooked for far too long.
- Defying Categorization: Delve into the life of this queer, Black icon who fearlessly defied categorization, breaking barriers in a male-dominated industry, and inspiring music legends like Elvis Presley.
- Extensive Research: Author Gayle F. Wald draws from the memories of over 150 individuals who knew Tharpe, as well as newspapers, archives, and memorabilia, to meticulously piece together a comprehensive and captivating biography.
- Empowering Women in Rock: This biography sheds light on Tharpe's remarkable legacy, forever altering our understanding of women's pivotal role in rock music and reshaping the narrative of US popular music history.
Item Number: 9780807011843
Dimensions: 8.98 x 5.98 x 0.79 inches
Weight: 0.84 lb
Penguin Random House is your one-stop source for the best books and gifts. You can filter by categories and sub-categories that interest you—from pop culture to craft & creativity, from health & wellness to journals, stationery & more. We have over 450 themes and categories to help you find your way. Or you can filter by age, grade, award winners, top sellers, on-sale date or coming soon, and even cover color. Featuring titles from all publishing divisions of Penguin Random House and across our distribution clients, Penguin Random House was designed and organized around the themes, occasions, holidays, and categories that are meaningful to you and your customers.